Welcome to my world of pricing …
… a fascinating topic. Many people think pricing is done after a product is created, but it is so much more. When you understand how people use price to make purchase decisions it helps you figure out which products to build, how to create a portfolio, and how to capture more value from your market.
My earliest memory of pricing was at 9 years old, just after shopping with my mom, wondering why all prices seemed to end in 99 cents. Do companies think we’re stupid? It’s just a dollar. In my Ph.D. program at UC Berkeley I had a chance to study that topic and even wrote my dissertation about it. Since then I taught pricing at Ohio State, wrote (and still write) a blog, wrote a book, created a pricing course, and worked as an executive in pricing.
Here are some ways you can learn more about pricing:
- Read my blog, PragmaticPricing.com.
- Read my book, Impact Pricing: Your Blueprint for Driving Profits. This is out of print but I still have a few physical copies that you can order. The digital version will always be available. Click here for digital.
- Take the course, Price, offered through Pragmatic Marketing. This is a one day course that is ideal for entrepreneurs and product managers.
- Send pricing questions. Feel free to email questions to me here. I typically anonymize them and then answer them on my blog or in my newsletter.
- Sign up for my newsletter, aka The Pricing Perspective. Every 6 weeks or so we gather up any blogs and articles I’ve written, maybe answer a question or add some additional content, and then email it out. Be assured you won’t get spam from me because I’m not trying to sell anything. ?
- Watch my favorite story on how a hooker prices her services.
- Other content I’ve been part of.
- Academic articles
- Other resources. Here are links to pricing people and companies that I know and like.
- Pricing consultants
- Pricing software companies